Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Another attempt with another transmission

5th August
The truck was finally finished and Roger (& Travis, Nicole & Lisa) picked it up about 4 pm and brought it back up to pick up the camper and be on our way again. We left the campground about 8 pm after having spent six days there. I did lots of laundry today, cleaned the camper, etc. Renae was the only one there with me so we went out for lunch in town – it’s quite a touristy place & prices are not cheap here. We also got a little TV watching in! The truck is doing some funny things, but the guy who fixed it seems to think the kinks will work out as we drive. We hope so. We drove till we got to Spokane, and slept at the Flying J there – it was midnight till we got there. We’ve got to keep moving now to get in all we want to before we have to head home. We need to be home in two weeks from today – August 19, cause Travis leaves for Goshen on Sunday the 22nd and he needs a couple days at home. –posted by Jolene

I noticed right when I left the shop, before I ever left town something was not quite right on the truck. – posted by Roger

6th August
Yay, I got the easy day. All we did all day today was drive. We haven’t done that all day in forever, so I’m not complaining. We gotta make up for lost time. I was beginning to feel like I lived in Winthrop. –posted
By Nicole

First thing in the morning I called the transmission shop in PA, and they as soon as I could the one in Wenatchee, WA to talk about the things I didn’t like about the transmission. The PA shop was concerned, but the WA shop blew it off and said it might be a sticky valve and will sort itself out. I was convinced something was not right, but they talked me into not worrying about it. -posted by Roger

7th August
Nicole completely missed out on most of the day- we certainly didn’t drive all day. We also went to Glacier National Park and had supper by a lake there and built a campfire and had smores etc, then slept outside the park that evening. We couldn’t go through the park because there was a length limit so we went around it and then decided that the next day we would drop the trailer and go through it. Anyway, she’s too lazy and doesn’t want to blog much, so I have to fill in for her. Today we dropped the camper in the park nd then went down through the park. It was all foggy and we couldn’t see a thing. It would’ve been really pretty if you could’ve been able too see anything, though. Then we headed up to Calgary and had to pass the Canada border. The guy who asked us questions said it was alright to go ahead but first we had to throw out the firewood we had in the back of the pick-up. While we were throwing out the wood some more guys came to us and asked us to get out of the truck so they could search us. Then they had a dog sniff everyone and everything. He jumped up onto the front seat of the truck and when the guys searched the camper they didn’t take their muddy boots off. They also took a long time and tore everything up. Dad said that when he looked back in his closet, it was a mess, and Nicole and Travis said their clothes were everywhere, too. They have no right to go and rip it up and not put it back together again. Anyway, when we finally got into Canada we went to Calgary and ate at an Outback Steakhouse. We had free appetizer coupons and bought three meals we all shared. While we were going there we noticed the truck making weird noises. Travis and dad said it was the transmission that was messed up again and was getting worse.. The meal was really good but we had to sleep in the parking lot because Dad was afraid to move it anywhere for fear it might break down. We also had an excuse if they kicked us out again. –posted by Renae

8 August
Well I must say this pick up is sure disappointing me. We were planning on getting a rental car & driving to Banff b/c we don’t trust the truck that far, but decided it wasn’t worth it cuz of the terrible weather. It was all foggy & rainy & would probably turn out something like Glacier. We tried out a campground in Calgary, but it didn’t have anything & there wasn’t anything to do there so we went to another one that was a little better. It was pretty cold, around the 50’s. We just kinda hung around & watched TV & read all day. After supper we played Taboo & ate ice cream in the heated camper, then went to bed. –posted by Lisa

We are stranded again, and it happens on the weekend as usual. I don’t trust this transmission at all until I get it checked. It was not right from the beginning but is getting worse, and it has less than 1000 miles on it. I noticed today all our inner tubes we had were missing from the back of the pickup. I had about 10 of them for tubing, and we had the firewood stacked on top of them, but when Canada made us unload it at the border they apparently blew out, so there are 10 or more tubes spread between the border and Calgary if you are interested. Last year we lost three lawn chairs in Kansas, apparently they get sucked out from under the fifth wheel. They were at the same place the inner tubes were. So the loss count for this year is as follows: 10+ inner tubes in Alberta, 1 pair glasses in the Methow River in Twisp, WA. – posted by Roger

9 August
Dad & Travis left to take the pick up to some shop & possibly rent a car & go to Banff or Jasper. It’s still pretty foggy & rainy so we’re not sure what we’re gonna do yet. –posted by Lisa

Since the weather was not very good we did not get a rental car on Sunday as we planned. First thing in the morning I got on the phone and called all the warranty approved shops for this transmission, and talked to Landis and Quality Transmission shops. There were 6 approved shops in Calgary and I called all of them to feel them out and see who I could trust, especially regarding whether they would get it in the shop as promised. I did not want a repeat of last week. I found an Indian owned shop that seemed pretty good, but the accent of the owner was hard to understand. Travis and I went there and they started testing and got to the point they pulled the pan off and found metal everywhere. The oil smelled burnt, even though I had a gauge installed and controlled the temperatures very closely. In the end I was very impressed with this shop and the owner. We ended up getting an Explorer from Hertz for a rental car at a very good price through his contacts $24.00 USD per day, unlimited miles. He was in contact with both transmission shops and said he did not want to be responsible to overhaul it if it was just done twice. There is something wrong somewhere, and nobody can explain it. This is the third time the transmission was out in a year, and twice with complete overhauls in the last 2 months. It went through 3 torque converters. He got arranged to have a Ford Remanufactured one to exchange, and they would pay for part of it. It will cost me some more money (I already had towing bills, rental car bills, campground fees etc etc. etc) but this way I know what I have and will have peace of mind going home. It will have 24,000 mile/ 2 year warranty also. I really don’t want anything to do with my old transmission. Landis Transmission in PA was very helpful and did a lot to help me out, but the shop in Washington I was not impressed with. I wish I would not have gone to that shop. – posted by Roger

10 August
Today we left shortly after 6:00 in the rental vehicle to spend some time in Banff. It was foggy for part of the way, but cleared up some by the time we got there. It was hazy, but still very pretty. We took the tram to the top of the mountain at Banff and hiked up to the lookout. It was quite scenic. We then drove to Johnston Canyon and hiked to the lower falls. It was crowded with people, but a pretty falls. After we got back I called the shop and they said the transmission had arrived and they should have it ready in 2 or 3 hours, but it should not be a problem being ready by the end of the day. We decided to head back and get our wheels. We drove back and I dropped everybody at the camper so they could shower etc. and I went for the pickup. When I got there it was finished but there was a mix-up on the warranty from the other two shops, and he was waiting for a call from Landis to finalize that billing. I sat there for about two hours and when he tried to call they had already left. I ended up paying the entire bill with my credit card ($3600.00 Canadian) and was told I will get some back for warranty I hope that gets sorted out yet, but I at least am on the road again. We are getting ready to leave the campground, and I am quickly sending this before I leave. Nothing was shown here, but when I inquired I found I could get access for one week for $10.95 and have WIFI right here in the camper. I haven’t seen much of this yet, but I would certainly install that if I owned a campground. We are on the road again, so if you don’t hear from us in a few weeks try calling all the transmission shops between Calgary and Lancaster – we may be at one of them!!!! – posted by Roger

No comments: