Sunday, July 29, 2012

PILOT HEAVEN!


Oshkosh 2012 (July 24 – 28)
What a great way to finish out a vacation.  I met Renae and we flew into Oshkosh, Wi Tuesday afternoon, and spent until Saturday enjoying the largest airshow in the world.  As usual flying into Oshkosh is interesting, but this time I was pretty uncomfortable when the established procedures were modified and I counted about 12 airplanes circling aimlessly over a town, twice getting too close for my comfort range – especially realizing there are many inexperienced pilots in the mix.  Next time if that happens I will pull out and come back in when things get a bit more settle down.  There are two lakes where aircraft usually hold, and the second one had about 12 aircraft circling it.  That point is very close to the airport and the place where the controllers are on the ground and when it is busy are constantly talking and giving directions to the airplanes coming overhead in a line ¼ to ½ mile apart.  They are separated there for two or three different runways and the only acknowledgement is rocking the wings.  Then one is handed off to the tower and again no communication except a wing rock if requested.  Each runway has 3 large dots painted a different color and aircraft are told which dot to land on and then are to immediately taxi clear of the runway on the grass.  When exiting the runway one places a sign in the windscreen to indicate camping or parking and about 6 other categories, and then people on the ground marshal.  We camped under our wing in the North 40 again.  The airplanes are packed in.  The process is incredibly organized, and if I didn’t experience it several times I would not believe it could work.  It is truly amazing to see how this entire process can work, especially in the air.  On takeoff they line up and take of several aircraft at the same time on the same runway.  There can be two or three staging takeoff points, and airplanes are lined up on both sides of the runway alternating sides so everybody is ready to go when released.  Again all this done with no acknowledgment from the pilots, only the controllers speaking – often non-stop.  If you are a pilot and have never flown into Oshkosh, it must go on your bucket list!  Over 1/2 million people, over 10,000 airplanes flying in, and over 36,000 people camping on the grounds - and EVERYBODY talking aviation!
Camping under the wing is always a highlight.  I spent 3 long days walking around and I probably saw less than 1/3 of what I wanted to.  One can spend a whole week there and still not see everything.  And the airshows are incredible.  What some of those pilots can do with an airplane defies logic, and again if I would not have seen it with my own eyes I would not think an aircraft could do some of those things.  We left before the night airshow Saturday night, but in the past that was very worthwhile seeing.  Every time I get to Oshkosh I say “I need to do this every year”, but I’ve only been there 4 or 5 times.  ROGER
After the Rains Came the Drying Out

The Neighbors Dryer

No comments: