Tuesday, February 24, 2009

IMMIGRATION AND A POOR ZIMBABWEAN WOMAN - JOLENE

A week & a half ago we needed to go to immigration to get our visitors permit extended, since our residence permits hadn’t come through yet (as of last Friday, they finally came through). We had gotten in for 30 days as visitors, but then needed to get our passports stamped so we could stay longer. We didn’t even have to wait in a line (very unusual!).
We were talking to the immigration lady in front of us, and the immigration woman next to us asked me if I could help her. I had no idea what she needed me to help with, so I said I will if I can. Then she gave me a passport and asked me to look at the picture in it, and then look at the woman standing next to me and tell her if that picture was the picture of the woman standing there. I noticed immediately it was a Zimbabwean passport. So I looked at the picture, and I looked at this woman, and it was quite obvious that the picture was NOT that woman.
Now, what to do?? If I say it was not that woman, of course they send her straight back to Zimbabwe (actually regardless of what I said, I’m sure she was probably going back). But neither could I lie and say it did look like her – well, I just couldn’t lie, even though I wanted to. So I kind of stuttered around and said I’m not sure, but it doesn’t really look like her. Then the immigration woman said they do this all the time – bring in passports that belong to their sister or whoever, and try to pass as them. She said immigration tries to help them, but they just lie to them. Well, who could blame them, really?
We are hearing more & more about what is going on in Zimbabwe, and meeting more & more people from there. It is just beyond comprehension that President Mugabe is still in power and is doing what he’s doing to the people there. They have nothing. When we drove into the immigration place there were lots of people sitting under trees waiting, we weren’t sure for what. But there was also a big truck/bus there that we figured brought people there from Zimbabwe, and would be taking back those that didn’t have the proper documentation.

No comments: