Wednesday, June 27, 2007

June 27

TRAVIS:
The morning started out innocently enough for yours truly. I got up early and, per instructions from mother last night, walked to the supermarket down the road to get some milk for breakfast. After fumbling through Dad’s wallet in the dark room to get some money, I headed out cheerily into the beautiful dawn. As I got to the store I noticed that it looked suspiciously quiet, and quickly discovered that the store didn’t open for another 40 minutes or so. Okay. Defeat #1. Then, since there was an ATM right next to the store and I had been wanting to try out my debit card before being left alone in Africa, I stood behind the woman at the ATM machine and began digging out my card. I soon discovered, however, that the two women who were standing awkwardly in the middle of the store entrance were actually in line for the ATM when one of them rather sharply told me “the queue is here.” Apparently, people here find it necessary to stand about 20 feet away from the ATM operator, I suppose for privacy. I sheepishly took my place in line and tried to look black. Defeat #2. When my turn finally came around, I pushed in my card, asked for 400 pula, and waited expectantly for the machine to count out my money. Nothing. Finally, I am told: “your card has been retained. Please contact your bank.” Great. Not only am I unable to get money with my card, I no longer even have a card. Defeats 3 & 4. With my head hanging low, I decided to salvage my morning by heading to a nearby gas station to pick up some milk there. I picked out the milk, headed to the counter, and took a bill out of my wallet only to hear “we do not take Rand here.” Looking in disbelief at the bill, I discover that in the dark, I managed to take some of Dad’s left-over South African Rand instead of Botswana Pula. Defeat 5. Now completely disheartened, I put back the milk and begin trudging back home. I did have a brilliant flash of insight on the way home that somewhat redeemed my morning, as I realized that I had my credit card along and could by milk with that. So, after all of that, I returned home (after another gas station stop) with two tiny bottles of milk, less a debit card and much self-confidence. Of course, after that, the day could only get better. It was pretty uneventful, actually. Dad and I drove around picking up some things that we need for the rest of our trip and visiting the DCA (Department of Civil Aviation), while the rest of the gang went to the main mall and got some souvenirs and stuff like that.
Travis

ROGER:
Contrary to Trav’s experience, the day did finally get GREAT, in the evening. We went back to the village of Bokaa to see if we could see some of the people we missed yesterday. First we went to Maria’s house, which was someone Jolene and I had been good friends with during our village live-in. They were so excited to see us, and were waiting for our return. Maria was “beside herself” with excitement that we had not forgotten them. After visiting she led a song which Jolene and I joined in on, bringing memories flooding back. Her husband then led a prayer as we departed.

After that we went next door to the place where we stayed, and just after we arrived Maurice returned from work in Gabs. We then had tea with him and again had a wonderful visit, reminiscing about old times, and catching up on the rest of the family. Near the beginning of our visit he went to the cabinet and pulled out a picture of our family we had sent 10 years ago. The “old lady”, as he called her, had died last year. It was sad we could not see her – she was quite a woman and would have been thrilled to see us and the kids, especially Travis who was four months old when we went to live with her.

What a way to end the day. It didn’t seem right to see the village change so much. There was a paved road into the village, street lights, and electric in both houses. Maria even had a TV - no reception but they could watch videos. It is good to see “development” happening, but it is also sad to see some of the byproducts that come with that. However it finally felt like we were not tourists. That felt GREAT!
Roger

No comments: