Sunday, April 12, 2009

Thankfully Things Have Changed - Roger

As someone who was with Flying Mission 24 years ago (seconded by MCC), and now has returned for a short time to work with Flying Mission (although now a completely different organization); I was asked to have the devotions at the dedication of our recently purchased King Air 200, since I saw the progression of where we came from. As I was thinking about how Flying Mission is so different today than it was 24 years ago, at times I became nostalgic for the old days. I miss the following:
1. The whine made by the IO-520’s turning the prop tips close to the speed of sound, as the Cessna 206’s struggle to take flight. I still get to hear that on the ramp at Maun!
2. The intimate relationship with the vast remoteness of Botswana and the Central Kalahari Desert. As pilots we knew virtually every corner of the country and spent a lot of time in many remote villages.
3. The conversations and dialog with the doctors from all over the world as we chauffeured them throughout the country, spending many nights in beds at the clinics as we hopped from village to village – at times having to get up in the middle of the night because we often slept in the maternity room, and if a child decided to enter the world that night, well…........., there went our good night’s sleep.
4. Flying missionaries to the many places they lived and worked, and the good conversations that resulted – the nights by the campfires in their villages. We also got to go along and spend time at the exotic places where they would want to vacation – seeing many of the amazing sights throughout Southern Africa – although Victoria Falls got to feel a bit too routine.

Anytime I get nostalgic for the above I only need to allow my thoughts to take the next logical step, and remind myself:
1. I thank God the Cessna is no longer required by FM – and am thankful FM was forced to get a new vision and “go beyond” that. Now we have a King Air to transport patients. It is faster, more comfortable, safer, and has enough room for medical professionals and life-saving equipment. Now I can enjoy the snapping sound of the ignitors and the whine of the turbo-jet engine as it spools up. The only better “aviation” sound is the spool up of a jet engine.
2. I am thankful missionaries can now drive to locations all over the country because paved roads have been built at an amazing speed – shrinking the remote areas of Botswana incredibly. In addition it seems like there are fewer missionaries required – hopefully because many have “worked themselves out of a job”. It is exciting to see so many more trained and capable Batswana, and the standard of living for the local population has improved greatly. The battle now will be to not let “the rich get richer and the poor get poorer”.
3. Even though I miss the variety, I thank God that because there are now hospitals and vastly improved health care facilities with full-time doctors staffing them throughout the country, a doctor no longer needs to visit the remote communities only on a monthly basis.

Thankfully one thing feels the same – the fulfillment and satisfaction received from being a part of saving a life. After my first stint in Botswana I seriously entertained the idea of returning to study medicine. I think it would be a very fulfilling profession – however being 37 years old at the time I finally decided to let it drop. If only we had several lifetimes to do the things we want – one is just not enough!

When I worked here in the 80’s my flying was very varied and I remember discussions with the other pilots of which flights were the most fulfilling – some felt more fulfilled in transporting missionaries, but I always received the most satisfaction after finishing a mercy flight and getting a critical patient to adequate medical facilities. The feeling of losing a patient enroute feels the same as it did before, it is never fun, however the feeling of getting a critically ill patient to a facility so their life can be saved also feels the same – it feels GREAT! In the years I worked here before, I’ve had births and I’ve had deaths on the airplane. So far this time I’ve had a death, but have yet to have had a birth, although I’ve had several newborn babies.

Thankfully I don’t have to go back to the “nostalgic” times. Botswana has moved beyond that and I am thrilled to be involved with transporting patients for the Ministry of Health in the “New Botswana”.

No comments: